Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tips on Tuesday #3: Seasoning with Spirit

Growing up, my grandmother, Mama Rosa (as many of you knew her), would tell me "the flavor is in the hands." This meant that even with the same exact recipe, no two people could make the dish the same. Once I started cooking myself, I found this to be true and that there would be certain recipes, seasonings, and dishes that I would get along with better than others. This made cooking transform from chore to an activity where I could feel a bit like an artist expressing myself because cooking was now an activity I was really engaged with. Moreover, this is why I think cooking shows can be so interesting to watch - because they are actively cooking!
Mama Rosa keeping a close eye on the kitchen.







All this brings me to this week’s Tuesday Tip: Season as you cook!



So often, it's easy (and a little boring) to just put the seasoning on the food and just watch it sizzle on the skillet. However, just as cooking is expected to bring all the flavors together, heat can also make those flavors steam up and disappear before your eyes. By seasoning at the various points of the cooking process instead of all at once, the flavors will remain just as strong as when you first started. It is also totally fair game - and even encouraged - to taste as you go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment